Monday, October 15, 2012

A few of my favorite mice...

It's fall.  The harvest is in and so are the field mice. 

A Merry-Mouse Book of Months by Patricia Hillman (One in a series of Merry-Mouse books, we also have the Christmas one)

Last year I was reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and had a difficult time setting those necessary mouse traps as I imagined the poor little mouse families I was breaking up.  The mouse poo on my kitchen counters convinced me that they had to go, however.  So, with mice on my mind, here are a few (ok, a lot of) books that we have featuring mice:

 Once a Mouse... by Marcia Brown (Caldecott Medal)

The Story of Jumping Mouse by John Steptoe (Caldecott Honor)

 
Anatole by Eve Titus with pictures by Paul Galdone (Caldecott Honor)

Mouse Tales by Arnold Lobel (We also have Mouse Soup)
 
The Island of the Skog by Steven Kellogg

Beatrix Potter has several stories about mice including The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse, The Tailor of Gloucester, The Tale of Two Bad Mice, and The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse in The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter.

Mrs. Brice's Mice by Syd Hoff

Merton, The Monkey Mouse by Norman Bridwell (creator of the Clifford books)

Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse by Leo Lionni is my favorite of his mouse books.  We also have Matthew's Dream and A Busy Year.  We didn't care for Frederick and also passed on a copy of The Greentail Mouse.)

Tiny's Big Adventure by Martin Waddell and illustrated by John Lawrence

The King, the Mice and the Cheese by Nancy and Eric Gurney

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes is my favorite of his mouse characters.  We've also found copies of Shelia Rae The Brave and Chester's Way and check out others from the library.



I can't forget Mouse from Jim Arnosky's first little concept books: Mouse Numbers, Mouse Letters, Mouse Colors and Mouse Shapes.

Although we have never read The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson, our library got the movie last week and we checked it out.  Julia says that she was extremely pleased at how well they stayed with her story - using her words - and we really enjoyed it.  I loved the animators' interpretation of the opening line, "A mouse took a stroll through the deep dark wood".



Finally, I don't want to neglect a few chapter books about mice that we have:

Stuart Little by E. B. White, illustrated by Garth Williams
The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden, illustrated by Garth Williams (We also have Tucker's Countryside, the first sequel to this book and Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride, which is a 64 page picture-book rather than a chapter book like the others.  (The 80 page prequel, Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse looks like it has a lot of illustrations, too.)
 
The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary, illustrated by Louis Darling (There are two others in this series about Ralph S. Mouse that I'm sure I will find: Louis Darling also illustrated Runaway Ralph while Paul O. Zelinsky illustrated Ralph S. Mouse.)  Do you have a favorite literary mouse?


ETA: Margery Sharp's 9-book The Rescuers series written from 1959-1978.  The New York Review has re-published The Rescuers, illustrated by Garth Williams (he illustrated the first 4 books) and I once found a copy of Miss Bianca in the Orient illustrated by Erik Blegvad that we've not yet read (he illustrated the next 3 books).  Leslie Morrill illustrated the last two books in the series.

3 comments:

Leanne@VintageBooksfortheVeryYoung said...

Great post! My daughter's teacher just finished reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle to the class - I'm a little bit sad I didn't get a chance to read it to her first myself! :)

Jennifer Gregory Miller said...

Great list!

Mousekin books by Edna Miller are our absolute favorite!

And Basil of Baker Street and others in the series by Eve Titus are the next step after Anatole in reading -- and totally delightful.

stephanie said...

Leanne - I haven't had that problem. My children's teachers tend to choose books that I wouldn't recommend.

Jennifer - Thank you for the additional recommendations. I found a few Mousekin books in our county library system and a few Basil of Baker Street at our own library. I see that Paul Galdone illustrated nearly all of the books Eve Titus wrote.

It appears that I neglected "Angelina Ballerina" because we don't have any of those books on our shelves, but my oldest daughter checked out every single one when she was younger.