Thursday, November 1, 2012

All Saints

I recently brought home a box of books from the library booksale, but today is All Saints Day so I wanted to share some images from The Saints And Your Name, which was a booksale find from several years ago.  I really liked the illustrations and it has (almost) all of our patron saints in it, including the hard to find Saint Edward!

 
 
Printed in Germany, the original German title is Das Buch von den heiligen Namespatronen. It was written by Joseph Quadflieg (translated by Margaret Goldsmith) and illustrated by Johannes Grueger. It appears that he has illustrated several religious-themed books, picture books, and chapter books, as well as a series of song books. (Here are a few). I might have to work on collecting some images from his book covers, at least. They are bold and bright and I'd love to learn more about him. For now, here are some of his saints:
Saint Bridget (Birgitta) married and had 8 children before being widowed and founding a convent.
Saint Francis of Assisi gave away all he had and founded the Franciscans.  There are a lot of picture books about Francis of Assisi.
Saint Angela Merici loved children and founded the Ursulines, who are mostly schoolteachers.
Saint George was martyred for his strong Christian faith and became a legend.  I highly recommend Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges, illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman.  There's not a scrap of the historical Saint George, but it is a fantastic re-telling of the legend and the illustrations are gorgeous.
Saint Charles Borromeo, the patron saint of libraries!  I will have to read more about this...
"On the day of the Last Judgment...Michael...will lead God's friends to heaven."  May we be counted among them!

4 comments:

Jennifer Gregory Miller said...

I have this book and I agree, the illustrations are terrific! A fantastic book all-around.

Leanne@VintageBooksfortheVeryYoung said...

Very interesting to see this book!

stephanie said...

I can't find anything else to back up Saint Charles Borromeo as patron saint of libraries or librarians. He is generally thought of as patron saint of catechists, catechumens and seminarians.

The patron saints of libraries/librarians are Saint Jerome in the west, Saint Catherine of Alexandria in the east and Saint Lawrence in Europe.

Jennifer Gregory Miller said...

I wonder if this is a translation problem? I'm looking at his bio and his area was catechesis and seminaries -- both areas that would require culling doctrinal sources and books. Perhaps a stretch for librarians but seems plausible, especially for the longest time those could read were the rich and clergy, and the libraries were in the monasteries and seminaries.

There was another error my sister and I found in the book, but I can't find it now.