Monday, May 13, 2013

Children's Book Week

Dropping by to point out Better World Books is having a great sale for Children's Book Week!



I just ordered 7 books for $13.50, which is less than $2/book.  I usually pick out hardcover "Very Good" copies when ordering from them and am not disappointed.  Sometimes I take a chance with a "Good" book, but can not recommend ordering anything that is "Acceptable".




I am most excited about a Bill Peet book: Hubert's Hair Raising Adventure  I have had a really hard time finding Bill Peet books at library booksales and thrift shops.  I hardly ever find Bill Peet books in their Bargain Bin, so I was really excited to find a new one!


Also on the way are a couple of Mercer Mayer's wordless books from the Boy, Dog, Frog series:  Frog, Where Are You? and Frog Goes to Dinner, I also got Bearskin illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman, and an Evaline Ness recommended by Burgin Streetman, Fierce: the Lion.


For my older readers I got Henry Reed's Babysitting Service, illustrated by one of my favorites,Robert McCloskey, and 3rd in the series that begins with Henry Reed, Inc., which I picked up a few weeks ago and is part of the Sonlight homeschool curriculum.  We don't use Sonlight, but I always check out recommended books from homeschooling book lists.  I also found another old Eleanor Estes, The Witch Family, illustrated by Edward Adrizonne to add to my collection.  I discovered her when writing about Louis Slobodkin, as he illustrated many of her books, including The Hundred Dresses.  (I am disappointed the link to his website from that post no longer works.  It was such a great site!)


Let me know if you find any great books on sale!  Have a wonderful Children's Book Week!

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I enjoy your blog, would like to access Amazon to order book thru link on your site, but cannot find the link :(
thank you for such great book reviews

stephanie said...

Thank you, Meredith. I am not 100% sure how it works, but if you click on a link that takes you to amazon.com from my site, I believe a small percentage of the sale goes to me. The advertising fees are from the item (book) I have "advertised" as well as other "qualifying purchases" you might make after clicking through from my blog.

Some of my links take to you to another blog and if you click through to amazon.com from their site, they will get the percentage. I feel that is only fair if they have written a good post.

stephanie said...

FYI: If you sign up for Paperback Swap by clicking on the logo in my sidebar, I get credit(s). I think I will add an amazon "Favorites" widget to the sidebar to make it easier for anyone who specifically wants to support me. Thanks again!