Wednesday, May 29, 2013

garage sale season


Some friends of ours are moving to town, so we went to their garage sale last weekend.  She was a teacher and had a huge box of books that another friend of mine was making off with half of when I arrived.  Friend 2 left a few goodies for me, however, including one I thought was very appropriate for the beginning of garage sale season:
 (and Other Easy-to-Read Stories) by Lillian Moore with pictures by Arnold Lobel.  In the title story, one man's trash is another man's treasure!  The House that Nobody Wanted is my favorite story of the seven published in this 72 page book.  An old woman and old man go visiting their friends and decide they want a similar house, so they try to sell their own old house on the hill, but no one wants it.  In the process of fixing it up to sell they realize that it is just what they wanted.  I just might have to order their other book, The Magic Spectacles (and Other Easy-to-Read Stories).


There was also a copy of The Troll Music by Anita Lobel (dedicated to her husband, how sweet!) that I was happy to add to our collection.  I looked at Giant John but didn't buy it because I have already bought two copies, and I hoped someone else would come along and recognize it for the treasure it is.  (Why can't I find a blog post praising this book?  I suppose I will have to write one, myself).


The first book I'd picked up, though, was a beautiful copy of Little Lost Lamb by Golden MacDonald, illustrated by Leonard Weisgard.  She didn't know that Golden MacDonald was a pen name used by Margaret Wise Brown and I had to admit that I just learned that recently, myself.


We also picked up a 1962 hardcover children's novel, Mischievous Meg by Astrid Lindgren (translated by Gerry Bothmer), because my 3rd grader had just finished reading Pippi Longstocking and Pippi Goes On Board by the same author and was looking for more funny books like that.  I like the illustrations by Janina Domanska, though it appears that Ilon Wickland was the original illustrator of the Swedish book, Mardie.  Anyone who is interested in art should enjoy this website, showcasing the illustrators of Astrid Lindgren's books.  The entire website is a fascinating look at an author with whom we are all familiar, but not to the extent that her European fans may be.


First, though, my little bookworm devoured The BFG by Roald Dahl (and Quentin Blake), which they had a paperback copy of, and I thought deserved a spot on our bookshelf.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, can i ask you something? You seem to know a lot about children books and illustrations. The thing is, I’m looking for children books with “scary” animal illustrations like the big bad wolf (or a fox) eating pigs (or seven kids or Red Riding hood or birds in Chicken Little) or being pictured with a fat stomach. Could be any other animal as well. I need it for my research. Any sort of help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nelly